NORTHWESTERN TO MEET UNIVERSITY DEBATERS TONIGHT

Question Is: "Resolved, That the Baumes Laws of New York Be Enacted in the Several States"

J. K. Fairbank '29, president of the University Debating Council, and J. K. Hurd '30 will take the floor for Harvard tonight in a debate with Northwestern University of Evanston, Illinois, at 8.15 o'clock in Paine Hall. The question to be argued is: "Resolved, That the principles of the Baumes Laws of New York be enacted in the several states." D. K. Carter and Stanford Clinton will represent Northwestern and uphold the affirmative side.

This debate will be conducted according to the Northwestern rules, which are radically different from those usually followed. The most remarkable change is the fact that no decision will be rendered upon the question, either by judges or by the audience. The Northwestern plan also leaves time at the end of the debate for a discussion from the floor if desired. Therefore the speeches will be short, lasting only 18 minutes.

There will be only two speakers on a side. The rebuttal will be made by the first speaker on the affirmative; the others will speak only once.

The best known of Baumes Laws states among its provisions that any criminal who is convicted for a fourth time of felony is automatically sentenced to life imprisonment. Serious criticism has recently been directed at this act because it is felt that injustice is often inflicted. This law was passed in New York in 1926 and has since been adopted by several other States. It has been a subject for much discussion among the foremost lawyers of the nation.