PHILIPPINE DEBATE TRIALS TODAY

Question of Island Freedom To Be Argued With Natives

Trials for the debate with the University of the Philippines will be held at 3 o'clock this afternoon in the New Lecture Hall. The question to be argued is: "Resolved. That the Philippine Islands be given complete and immediate independence."

The speakers from the University of the Philippines have been touring America, matching their oratorical prowess with the leading colleges of the country. J. C. Borja, Pedro Camus, T. T. Evangelista, and Deogracias Puyat, president of the University of the Philippine Debating Club, comprise the Paclfic Island team. Professor C. P. Romula is its coach. The Philippine debaters believe that the question of independence does not have to be a bone of contention between the two peoples The only way to settle the question is by the interchange of ideas between their representatives and by contact with the national institutions of both countries.

The debate, the last of the season for the University team, will bring to a close an unusually successful season. The Crimson orators, Eastern Intercollegiate Champions, conquered the Princeton and Yale speakers this winter.

The trials are open to all members of the College and the Engineering School