MINIATURE POLITICS

April is here, Easter is almost a reality, vacation is in sight; and professor, wishing to sweeten that one little week all the more by contrast, fill these remaining few days of labor to capacity. But even the student up to his neck in examinations is aroused from that apathetic condition by the cheerful activity of the Democratic Club, whose busy members shame the moans of the weary by their energy. For has not presidential year rolled around, bringing balm to reporters, Democrats to Houston, and raisons d'etre to undergraduate political clubs?

The machinery of a regular campaign is already whirling. Committees are hammering together a platform with as much alacrity as the directors of the party outside. Delegates are to be chosen shortly; then in May will come the march to New Lecture Hall, which will do very well for a convention hall, and the battle proper begins. There is no mystery, gentlemen, no hocus-pocus; every issue plainly before your eyes, every candidate offered for what he is worth. The college side-show serves to whet the appetite while the main tent is being prepared. But the pungency of the 1924 performance is lacking this year. Houston may watch a real struggle: New Lecture Hall is slated to observe a walk-over on the first ballot.