THE EXONIAN'S ANNIVERSARY

The faith of the CRIMSON in the preparatory school newspaper, expressed in both material and editorial form in the past, is vindicated anew in the attainment of the fiftieth year of the Exonian, the newspaper of Phillips Exeter Academy. Although it has not fallen to the lot of the Exonian to win the CRIMSON award during the two years of the newspaper competition for preparatory schools, the separating margin between the Exonian and the winners has in each year been slight.

Preparatory school journalism has taken long strides during the past decade. The improvement in the technical characteristics of makeup, news and editorial writing has been accompanied by a general forward looking by the entire group of preparatory school journalists. The college paper had not long dared the photographic supplement before the schoolboy found this innovation within the ability of his hand. To confirm the permanent aspect of the newspaper of the preparatory school has come that hallmark of respectability, the news service.

How far the newspaper of the preparatory school can be expected to follow the path of the college paper in external and internal development will be determined by the single leash of time. It is doubtful, for instance, if the secondary school journalist would be wise in taking a book supplement upon his hands. The checkrein is tightening on extra-curricular activity all through the educational system and what is possible to the divided interests of a large college staff may be less feasible where the burden is less distributed.

In January of this year the Yale News reached its fiftieth year of publication, as in 1923 the CRIMSON had celebrated its own semi-centennial. It is with pleasure that the CRIMSON greets the entering Exonian into this fellowship.