Of An Olympian.

THOMAS HARDY AND HIS PHILOSOPHY. By Patrick Braybrooke. J. B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, 1928. $2.50.

By J. G. B. jr.

ALTHOUGH Mr. Braybrooke finished his book before Hardy's death, its appearance is coincident with the renewed interest in the Wessex genius. It treats Hardy as a writer of prose and as a poet. From these two considerations, his doctrine is defined as a philosophy that is melancholy, even morbid in its inability to lead to anything that is tangible, or that gives an idea of the purpose of life.

The author has limited his study of Hardy's work. His selection merits praise; and the book is of superlative profit to the reader who is familiar with Hardy's writings. The volume contains numerous quotations from the novels and poems discussed. This device is happy, for Hardy stands forth as his own witness, admirably aided by the pertinent comments and keen criticism of Mr. Braybrooke, who reveals a deep sympathy and understanding.

From first to last, Hardy was sad. He revealed a shadowy disillusion which grew in anger until it attained terrifying proportions. His characters were assailed by a curse that left "happiness but the occasional episode in a general drama of pain." There is an undefinable fear of life growing from the feeling that all is transitory and vain. Hardly lavished scrupulous care on his work, with the inevitable result that this gloom of life found artistic outlet in his realistic portrayal of man suffering the torments imposed by an ever-malignant Fate.

The essence of Hardy's philosophy is the apparent helplessness of mankind. It appears in the poetry, as in the prose, with a sense of human impotency. This view of life is not useful; it may even be dangerous--for it leaves one "with a sense of groping in thick darkness, with a very indefinite light in the distance, if there is any light at all." But despite this depression, Hardy's themes and his style of treatment possess that universal quality which assures him a lasting place among the immortals.