THIN THOUGHTS

According to that well established authority, the Bible, it is impossible for a man to add a cubit to his stature by taking thought, but it does not say anything about detracting a cubit or even more from a woman's girth by the same process. In this respect Mitzi, star of "The Madcap" now playing at the Shubert Theatre goes the Good Book one better, for she gives a formula for taking off weight which consists mostly of taking thought.

"Every day in every way I'm getting thinner and thinner"--as M. Coue's slogan might have been--applies the same principle as does the actress in her home-made "grow thin" method. She merely decides to lose weight--and she does. Eat everything you like, though not too much of it, to be sure, indulge in mild exercise, and think: that is the whole formula.

Gentlemen in the throes of divisionals have been known to lose weight. So have lovers, who are supposed to dream more or less constantly about their beloved ones. But the idea of taking thought for the sole purpose of reducing weight is new. Caesar distrusted the lean man, so Shakespeare tells us, and thought him fit only for "treason, stratagems and spoils". But now he is raised in his fellow-man's estimation, and instead of a dagger in his belt he will more probably have a Phi Beta Kappa charm on his watch chain.