ANDOVER ACADEMY WINS SCHOLASTIC NET CROWN

ANDOVER WINS AGAINST THREE UNBEATEN TEAMS

Phillips Andover Academy yesterday morning won the twenty-seventh annual Harvard interscholastic tennis tournament, on Divinity courts. It was a hard-earned victory with Phillips Exeter Academy running a close second.

The final match was won by Arthur Noble, of Newton High School, who defeated Clark Andrews of Lawrenceville Academy, Lawrenceville, N. J., 7-5, 7-5, 6-3, on the Longwood covered courts, where the players were driven by the thundershowers yesterday afternoon.

The deciding factor came in the morning's play. It was the defeat of Charles Greene of Exeter by Noble in the semi-final round, 6-2, 6-4. Had Greene won this match and the final, Andover and Exeter would have been tied.

In the other semi-final yesterday morning, Andrews downed Raynor Field of Andover, 6-2, 6-4. Andrews, who was seeded No. 1 in the draw, was looked upon as the outstanding player from the beginning of the matches on Wednesday morning, and his defeat by Noble was a decided upset. The Lawrenceville racquetman got a good pace on his drives during his matches, his service was severe, and his change of pace effective. He recently won the Princeton interscholastic court tournament.

Noble, the winner, is among the high ranking juniors of the State. Playing his first year in the junior ranks in 1927, he went to Canada and won the Dominion junior net crown. His team at Newton High School has been undefeated this season. He reached the semi-finals at the recent Yale interscholastics.

Oddly enough, Andover took the tournament championship in competition with three undefeated teams. Newton High School, Exeter Academy, and Worcester Academy sent unbeaten aggregations to the Harvard meet, but Andover's balance throughout the tourney carried it through to victory in a field numbering 46 entries.