THAMES IS SMOOTH FOR FIRST WORKOUT

A. A. Campbell '30 and B. J. Harrison '29 Switch Seats--Two Miles Covered in Morning

Harvard Training Quarters, Red Top, Conn., June 4.--The first two University crews had their first workouts on the Thames river today when they rowed two miles in the morning and three miles in the afternoon.

Due to the fact that the Crimson oarsmen have had a two day rest since they had their last practice on the Charles River on Friday the workouts today were light.

In the morning the two shells paddled downstream to the two mile mark and changed boats. Although the water was not rough, and the weather ideal for rowing, Coach E. J. Brown '96 did not have the crews race. The two eights changed shells and then paddled back over the two mile course. The only change in the seating was made in the second boat where A. A. Campbell '30 and B. J. Harrison '29 changed seats.

In the afternoon with the rowing conditions still ideal and the water smooth the two crews had a three mile workout. The return to the boat house was made in short stretches to prevent any unforseen causalties.

The two first crews lined up as follows:

Crew A--Stroke, John Watts '28; 7, Guy Murchie '29; 6, F. A. Clark '29; 5, W. G. Saltonstall '28; 4, C. E. Mason '30; 3, W. T. Emmet '29; 2, L. W. Dickey '30; bow, J. deW. Hubbard '29; cox., C. H. Pforzheimer '28.

Crew B--Stroke, James Lawrence '29; 7, Allerton Cushman '29; 6, B. J. Harrison '29; 5, A. A. Campbell '30; 4, C. McK. Norton '29; 3, M. R. Brownell '30; 2, D. S. M. Lanier '28; bow, A. T. Gray '30; cox., R. W. Herr '28.