CONTRARY TO PREDICTION

Additional evidence that the glittering key, outward and visible sign of learning and erudition, is still at least as highly desired as those inestimable but nebulous aids to the bond house such as "contacts" and "activities," is revealed in the proposal to increase membership in the Harvard chapter of Phi Beta Kappa from 45 to 65 from a class.

Increasing the membership of any organization is indicative of one of two trends. Either the group is slipping down hill and needs reinforcements, new blood, and the strength of numbers, or it is coming to have additional value and power which a slight loss in exclusiveness does not affect. In the particular case of Phi Beta Kappa, however, there is a third element in the increase in eligible candidates.

This pronounced and consistent increase in the number of outstanding scholars in each graduating class is the hope and joy of the tutorial system as conducted at Harvard. The present incentive to attain Honors and Distinction is undoubtedly responsible for the increase in likely candidates for Phi Beta Kappa. Wheather it is the familiar watch chain symbol or the magic, "cum," "magna" or "summa," which attracts undergraduates to excel in such a secondary commodity as book learning is not important. The results are the same, and the urge inspired by the same ideals. At any rate Phi Beta Kappa finds itself in the rather pleasant position of having a wealth of candidates when practically every other activity in the College uses every known method except the baseball scout system to gather the innocents into the told.