Forgotten Memoranda of President Eliot Form Part of Material for Harvard Booklet--Stress Character Needs

Among the materials drawn on by Professor S. E. Morison '08 in preparing an historical outline of Harvard for the booklet on Harvard history and traditions, now being published by the CRIMSON for distribution to next year's Freshman class, is a half sheet of hitherto unpublished notes for an address of President Eliot. The notes which are now preserved in manuscript form in Widener library are evidently a rough summary of points which President Eliot intended to bring out in an impending talk to some group of students. They give in concise form the characteristics which he thought most desirable in the college student, and also indicate several of the qualities for which he himself was notable.

Under the title "What possessions or acquisitions in college lead to success in after life" President Eliot enumerates:

"1. An available body. Not necessarily the muscles of an athlete. Good circulation, digestion, power to sleep, and alert steady nerves.

"2. Power of sustained mental labor.

"3. The habit of independent thinking on books, prevailing customs, current events. University training the opposite of military or industrial.

"4. The habit of quiet, unobtrusive, self-regulated conduct, not accepted from others or influenced by the vulgar breath.

"5. Reticent, reserved, not many acquaintances, but a few intimate friends. Belonging to no societies perhaps. Carrying in his face the character so plainly to be seen there by the most casual observer, that nobody ever makes to him a dishonorable proposal."

The collection of articles, of which Professor Morison's historical survey forms the first, is being published primarily for the information it may convey to Freshmen about Harvard, but it will also be placed on sale for the benefit of upper classmen, alumni, and outsiders. All of the copy has been placed in the printers hands and it is expected to have the first copies ready for sale at Class Day. The booklet will contain six articles by writers intimately acquainted with Harvard in addition to a preface by President Lowell. It will also contain several views of Harvard college in the past and of former athletic groups.