On With the Steamroller

THE PRESS

(Ed. Note--Below are some comments by a Yale undergraduate columnist on some of the current discussion on the House Plan at New Haven.)

Right now the House Plan seems to be getting everybody a lot of fun. The day that the News doesn't run a Communication about it is a rainy day indeed, and it is hard to find a time at the Elizabethan Club when somebody isn't saying just what he thinks on the matter.

I must say people are a little slow if they are just discovering that the House Plan is really a definite matter after all. Last Spring the News gave out a great deal of information about the Plan as it was then being formulated, but nobody except the News and the Inquisitor had anything to say, except that maybe the Administration knew what it was about. Naturally, the News supported the Plan, because it always tries to ferret out and represent "undergraduate opinion."

Then, this Fall someone found out that the House Plan was to be tried out at Yale as well as Harvard, and the shooting began. As these things always go, people wrote letters to the News jumping on that paper for everything it had done, just as if, when you "let George do it", George had to do it the way you wanted. Nobody cared enough about the matter last Spring to object but now that class unity is to be broken up, things are humming. I should think the News would lose patience and start calling names back at some of its correspondents.

The unfortunate part of the whole situation is that now the House Plan is going to be tried out, and nothing that anybody says this year will stop things. Last Friday the inquisitor did his best to point this out and put people at case, or at least to prevent a lot of wasted effort, but to no avail, evidently. They are still harping on the House Plan and the failure of the News to represent undergraduate opinion when there wasn't any to represent. Well, it doesn't hurt anybody and it may do some good in waking the place up and making it a little more interesting. I always said we needed more fights around here anyway.

My suggestion is that someone blackmail Prof. Seymour and send him a black-hand note to the effect that he leave the blueprints of the House Plan under a certain elm at midnight or something will happen. Once the blueprints were out of the way, the undergraduates could do almost anything. --Yale News: