Metropolitan Critics Concede Slight Edge to Still Untried Green--Broken Bottles Will Have Edge on Broken Fields

V. O. Jones '28, Boston Globe

In view of the unsettled condition in the Harvard forward line and the newness of the Harvard backfield combinations, it is very difficult correctly to judge Harvard's current strength. Dartmouth, as yet untried in the heat of superior competition, too presents a quantity difficult to gauge.

Added to both these conditions, is the lesson taught by the past history of Harvard-Dartmouth relations. One of my earliest recollections is of the great Joe Forecast, on the eve of a H-D game, with every other score correctly computed in that fine mind of his, resorting to pulling numbers out of a hat to determine the Dartmouth score! Though I was only a CRIMSON candidate then, it is a lesson which I have never forgotten.

Joe, I believe, is the only man who could correctly forecast the impending struggle. He, alas, is gone. (Fine fellow, Joe, shame he drank.) I can only attempt to fill the gap by predicting that very few seats will be vacant in the Stadium, that no matter what happens, the game afterwards will be described as "clean, hard football", and that broken fields will have little or no edge on broken bottles.