HARVARD HAS FIGHTING CHANGE TO WIN I. C. 4A.

LEVERING OF ITHACANS WILL BE DANGEROUS CONTENDER

Harvard should have a fighting chance to win the annual I. C. A. A. A. A. cross country meet to be held at Van Cortlandt Park, New York City, on Monday, November 25, according to Jaakko Mikkola, Crimson coach.

From the results of meets held so far this season, he points out, the other leading contenders seem to be Penn State, New York University, Cornell, Pennsylvania, Syracuse, and perhaps Maine. Penn has shown itself to have one of the strongest teams in the East by its recent victory in a quadruple meet, the scores of which were Penn 21, Cornell 51, Columbia 57, Dartmouth 81. In this meet, the Red and Blue runners took first, second, fifth, sixth, and seventh places.

Penn State has defeated Syracuse, 24 1-2 to 30 1-2, and New York University 21 to 34. Of its team, Rekers, star runner, placed only fifty-third in the annual meet last year, but has shown exceptional ability this season. Meisinger placed eleventh, and Ratcliff fourteenth. This team was the winner of the I. C. 4A. meet in 1928, although the first three on the team to finish have been graduated.

The Violet harriers have a powerful combination. Lerner and Hickey are the best material, the former having placed sixth last fall, while Shapiro and Phillips are very good. Cornell's chief strength lies in Levering, who was twelfth in 1928, and has shown even better work this season. Cornell defeated the Yale runners, 19 to 54, while the Crimson won from the Blue by 19 to 52.