OIL AND WATER

There are two main groups of people in the world, those who think and those who do things. A third class, those who think and then do things is as small in numbers as it is important in effect. Obviously Mr. Soares was pondering some method for enlarging the latter group when he allowed himself to be quoted in the CRIMSON as favoring some plan for the closer incorporation of extracurricular activities with the academic work of American Colleges.

Whether the College is justified in actually including the so-called outside activities in its curriculum raises, however, grave questions of administration. The only real difficulty presented by the present separation of the two fields is the lack of sympathy sometimes displayed by the extreme supporters of each camp. But, here at Harvard at least, it is only the extreme academist who willfully penalizes his students because they value the sort of development to be found on the athletic field or the College musical clubs. And conversely, the undergraduate managers of extra curricular activities are usually more pleased than otherwise at finding Dean's list men in their organizations. It is true that some men in the throes of a particularly difficult competition may find that time runs rather short but the usual college course allows ample lecture for active participation in at least one outside activity as well as a good deal of rather aimless talking around the bush besides.

On the other hand, if college credit, and therefore, reduction in course work, were allowed for participation in extracurricular work some sort of direction and management of this work would necessarily have to be done by the College office. Besides bringing the College authorities into active participation in fields for which they are fundamentally unfitted, such a course would greatly reduce the opportunities for individual initiative and spontaneous cooperation now offered to the undergraduate.

As for Mr. Soares's further suggestion that College courses should actually be linked with particular activities and the problems encountered in the field be elucidated in the class room even less enthusiasm may be felt. It is not the fact that the college newspaper teaches journalism or the Dramatic Club acting that makes them valuable; it is the fact that they afford some little contact with the problems of doing things in general. And on the other hand the more contemplative training of the class room can only furnish a general background of knowledge the immediate and specific application of which is not only undesirable but impossible.