GREENOUGH DOES NOT SEE DEATH OF SMALL COLLEGE

PREDICTS RATHER SUBDIVIDING OF LARGE INSTITUTIONS

"I see no ground for predicting either as a result of the Harvard houses or of any other educational conditions about which I know that the good American small colleges will disappear." Thus Professor Chester Noyes Greenough '98, who will be master of one of the new houses, commented upon the recent report of Dr. B. I. Bell, warden of St. Stephen's College, who predicted the "eventual abandonment of the most firmly intrenched small colleges."

Dr. Bell foresees a "reconstruction of the American educational system whereby small, independent colleges will cease to exist, and their places will be taken by like institutions banded together through universities." He further stated that Harvard was one of three other universities working toward conserving "the values of the American college that once was, with all the magnificent values of the great modern university-college, in that it is experimenting with a plan through which students live in groups with scholars, but receive university classroom instruction."

Taking issue with this augury. Professor Greenough said further: "I have read only a newspaper report of what Dr. Bell said. I therefore venture merely to say that of course the Harvard houses are not intended to be separate colleges. If they should have influence elsewhere, I should expect it to be rather in the direction of breaking up large colleges into subdivisions mainly social, than in the direction of an affiliation of several small colleges into a large university."