NEW SURVEY TO QUIZ SENIORS ON CAREERS

Newly-Created Office Offers Valuable Service to Men Graduating--All are Urged to Reply

All members of the Class of 1930 will receive today from the Alumni Placement Service a questionnaire constituting the first attempt in four years to determine what callings Harvard men intend to follow and where they expect to pursue them. It asks the Seniors to divulge their inmost desires and plans for the careers upon which they will embark in June, and is prepared for the purpose of collecting information necessary for the effective permanent employment of Seniors next spring.

Occupational surveys of Harvard graduating classes have been made in 1923, 1924, 1925, and 1926. Throughout these four years, business was the most popular field, followed by law; also significant was the growth of the architecture, fine arts, and government groups, and the decline in preference for engineering, and teaching. New England and the Middle Atlantic States were preferred locations for work as expressed by the Class of 1924.

Announcement has been made to the effect that employment facilities for this year's graduating class are being made effective by the new Alumni Placement Service which has recently taken over this function from the Student's Employment Office. Those in charge of the office have placed their facilities at the disposal of Seniors to talk over various work opportunities, and they have repeatedly made it clear that discussion of this sort carries no obligation of ultimate placement through this office. A reply to the questionnaire from every member of the Class of 1930 is considered essential to the effectiveness of these new services and the significance of the study. Replies to the questionnaire sent out by the Alumni Placement Service will be made comparable to returns of these older surveys and will be published in the CRIMSON. As over 90 per cent of the classes from 1923 to 1926 responded to the questionnaire sent out by the Committee on Choice of Vocations, the significance of the comparisons thus made will depend upon the extent to which the Class of 1930 participates in the study.