STARTING SEXTET STILL A MYSTERY AS B.U. TILT NEARS

Large Turnout Greets Coach Pratt on First Day--Cut in 1933 Squad Before Christmas Vacation

With but one more day in which to watch his hockey charges before they inaugurate the 1929-30 season at the Garden against B. U. tomorrow night Coach Joseph Stubbs is as yet undecided on his starting lineup.

The Crimson mentor made it known yesterday that he would not announce the starting sextet until after the final practice at the Garden this afternoon. Not having practiced since last Thursday the entire squad of 21 men will be put through a rigorous drill today.

Ellis Probably at Goal

The hardest job on Coach Stubbs' hands right now is to name the man who will be in the net at the opening whistle. The choice lies between Ellis, Draper, Hale, S. Putnam, and Wendell, but it seems that Ellis is the logical man right now because of his experience. At defense one veteran and a Sophomore. Garrison and Cunningham, have teamed up the best so far but it is very likely that Garrison and Batchelder will be the starting due. The starting forward line will also be experienced with the starting trio practically certain to be chosen from among six men: Captain Putnam, Lakin, Cross, Holbrook, Everett, and Wetmore. Coach Stubbs' Sophomore stars should break into the game later.

Seventy Freshmen Report

About 70 Freshman hockey aspirants reported at Smith Halls Common Room yesterday at the initial 1933 hockey meeting of the year. This is considerably more than came out last year for the Freshman sextet.

Freshman Coach Pratt and Captain Putnam outlined the preliminary plans to the assembled Freshmen. The men will split practice sessions with the University squad today and Thursday and put in a full day's work tomorrow. Since the first game comes shortly after the holidays Coach Pratt will be forced to cut the squad before the vacation.

Among the former prep school stars reporting were Robert Saltonstall Jr. '33, and W. C. Everett '33 both of last year's Exeter team.