First Harvard Team to Enter Swimming Meet to Compete in Roxbury Tonight-Almost All Members of Group are Freshmen

This evening at the Cabot Street Baths in Roxbury, the first men to be entered in a swimming meet from Harvard will compete in the events under the auspices of the Park Department of the City of Boston. The three Harvard swimmers are B. S. Wood '33, T. H. Jameson '33, and R. D. Fallon '33.

There has been no official call for candidates for the sport, as the new swimming pool will in all probability not be ready before the first of March. However, Harold Ulen, who is to coach the Harvard swimming team when the sport gets under way here next year, has had 20 men under his charge this fall and has been drilling them in fundamentals in the Big Tree swimming pool on Holyoke Street. In this way he is laying a foundation for next year when swimming becomes a regular sport for Harvard.

Ulen, who is the former Syracuse University coach, is greatly handicapped by the lack of space in the Big Tree pool, but he has had his tankmen in at the Boston Y.M.C.A. one night a week for some time. Eighteen of the 20 men out for the sport are Freshmen and these men will no doubt be the basis for the first Harvard team next year.

No Team This Spring

While the pool in the new gymnasium will not be completed before March 1, in all probability, the national intercollegiate meet is to be held there on March 28 and 29. Eighteen colleges participated in this meet last season at St. Louis, but a larger entry list is expected this year since it is to take place in the East. Inasmuch as Freshmen are not eligible for this meet, it is unlikely that the Crimson will enter any competitors before next season.

Of the three Harvard men to enter the meet tonight, Wood seems to be the outstanding entry. He comes from Hawaii, where several first rate stars in the sport have started their careers.

All three of these men are Freshmen, and Coach Ulen sees great possibilities in them for the future. Wood the most likely looking candidate, is at his best over the quarter-mile distance, but tonight he is out to win a medal in the 500-yard free style, and also in the 100-yard open free style. In the former event he will be pitted against William Squires of the Boston Swimming Association, whose unexpected showing outdoors during the past summer was the feature of the season. Squires captured the 440, 880, and mile outdoor senior championships, but recently he has been bothered by a bad cold, and his condition is reported as being somewhat uncertain.

Wood Favored

Although Wood has not competed directly against any of the men whom he will meet tonight, he is favored to win both the 500 and the century. Local swimming officials have watched him at work in the Y.M.C.A. tank and have spoken favorably of him. In the 100-yard race he will be matched against Gordon Conolly, senior diving and junior indoor 220-yard free-style champion. George Shinney of the Boy's Club of Boston, indoor senior 220-yard free-style champion and record-holder, John Sheesher of the Central Y.M.C.A. of Springfield, and Martin Ford of the Brookline Swimming Club.

It is not known definitely whether Harvard will enter a relay team, but if so, Coach Ulen will probably pick an upper classman to till out a team with these three.