BASEBALL SEASON INAUGURATED BY BATTERY WORKOUT

Devens and Fincke Prominent Among Freshman Candidates--Hockey Stars to Report Later

Baseball practice for the 1929 season began with a light workout of battery candidates at the Soldiers Field cage yesterday afternoon. The practice was short and was devoted to a light warming up of the candidates.

It is virtually impossible, this early in the season, to be able to draw any accurate conclusions as to the relative abilities of the candidates. Only one of last year's "H" men is on the pitching staff, Howard Whitmore '29. R. R. Ketchum '29 is another pitcher from last year's University team. W. H. MacHale '31, star twirler on last year's Freshman team is also among the candidates. One of the most promising of the catchers is T. W. Gilligan '31 who was ineligible to play on his Freshman nine. S. L. Batchelder '31 who is now on the Hockey squad is expected to report for catcher after the close of the Hockey season.

On the Freshman squad, Charles Devens '32 and Reginald Fincke '32, the first string battery on the Groton School team and F. O. White '32, pitcher on the Country Day School team, are the most prominent candidates. W. B. Wood '32, who is now on the Freshman Hockey sextet, is expected to be a leading contender for the catcher's position.

The following men reported for pitcher on the University squad: C. P. Atherton '29, E. A. Colpak '29, J. S. Cunningham '30, Robert Gilmor '31, R. R. Ketchum '29, W. H. MacHale '31, E. L. Molloy '29, J. W. Nee '30, Y. H. Pinsker '30, W. R. Scott '30, Solomon Smith '31, P. B. Weymouth '30, E. H. Whitt '30, Howard Whitmore '29, and M. S. Worth '30.

The University catcher candidates are as follows: J. D. Dudley '31, T. W. Gilligan '31, R. C. Laughlin '31, K. D. Robinson '29, and Earl Sims '31.

Freshman battery candidates are:

Pitcher: F. M. Brodie '32, W. F. Croskery '32, Charles Devens '32, Clinton Hebberd '32, C. T. Kraft '32, H. L. Lash '32, T. C. Martin '31, G. H. Nawn '32, Phineas Tobe '32, E. B. Welch '32, and F. B. White '32.

Catcher: Reginald Fincke '32, and F. L. Howe '32.