LIGHTWEIGHTS URGED TO BECOME COXSWAINS

THOROUGH COURSE TO BE GIVEN IN TRAINING SCHOOL

The following article concerning crew coxswains was written for the Crimson by C. H. Pforzheimer '28, coxswain of the University crew last year and now, a Freshman crew coach.

At the start of the present crew season, the problem of coxswains is more serious than has been the case during the last few years. There are two reasons for this. In the first place there are no men in college with coxing experience on any University crews inasmuch as the University and Second crew coxes were both Seniors last year. In the second place, there are no experienced stroke oars available, since the graduation of Captain Watts of last year's crew leaves a gap that will have to be filled by a man without four-mile experience. The problem of selecting a coxswain that can materially aid a relatively green stroke is, therefore, of great importance.

Coxes Chosen by Brown's System

During the coming season the coxes will compete and will be chosen by the same system that has been in use since Ed Brown became the head coach in September of 1926. During the early season, while the men are in the tank or on the machines, the upperclass coxswains, by means of the Coxswains' School, will have an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of rowing as well as steering. Brief mention will be made of racing conditions and technique. Finally, there will be several talks on different types of boats, a thorough knowledge of which is essential to successful coxing under the present rowing regime. The School will have but seven or eight meetings and regular attendance will provide coxes with the facts that all the coaches will reasonably expect the upperclass steersmen to know once the crews are on the water.

Will Rotate Coxswains

Rotating the coxes from one crew to another and from heavy to 150-lb. squad will be continuous from the time that the weather permits eights out on the water until the University crew is announced right after the Spring Recess. Selections at the end of this competition are made by the oarsmen themselves on the basis of ability and personality. Each crew is after the man with whom they can work best and who, in turn, can get the most out of the eight which he coxes.

The 1929 crew season presents an unusual opportunity for inexperienced men in the University who weight 125 pounds or less to make some good crew; and in his talk on Monday evening Coach Brown emphasized the desirability of having every available man try out. The same is even more true of the Freshmen as there is generally a shortage of steersmen owing to the large number of dormitory crews. It is interesting to note that during the last six years only one Freshmen cox had experience before coming to college. Notices about the Coxswains' School will appear in the CRIMSON shortly and it is hoped that every man in the University under 125 pounds will avail himself of the opportunity to get into one of the most interesting fields of Harvard athletics.