CLARE LEIGHTON TO LECTURE MONDAY ON WOOD ENGRAVING

Distinguished English Artist Will Speak at Fogg Museum

"Wood Engraving: A Lost Art Revived," will be treated in a lecture at the Fogg Art Museum Monday at 4.30 o'clock by Clare Leighton, one of the most distinguished British artists who have been experimenting in the subject in recent years.

During the last century wood engraving sank from the level of an infinitely skillful art, for the invention of photo-graphic processes seemed to displace it. About 15 years ago it came to life again with a new technique, as a medium in, which many creative artists chose to express themselves. Through an expert use of the peculiar qualities of the wood, effects of rare beauty can be obtained, which are distinctly different from those of the etching.

Miss Leighton will trace, with many illustrations, the history of the art in Europe, from the days when the pilgrims bought a woodcut as a memento of a saint's shrine, through Durer's illustrations to Revelations, down to its revival in the present times. It has now acquired a wide popularity in England and on the Continent; Miss Leighton hopes to introduce it more widely into America.

Clare Leighton's own engravings have won flattering acceptance in Europe. They have been bought for the two national English collections, those of the British and South Kensington Museums, and also for the Swedish National Collection. In the United States her engravings have been purchased, among others, by the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Boston Museum, and the New York Public Library. Miss Leighton has also contributed engravings to several magazines, and is now illustrating Thomas Hardy's "The Return of the Native."