BASEBALL SQUAD FACES STIFFER TRAINING DRIVE

OUTDOOR SESSIONS MAY START BY FIRST OF NEXT MONTH

Entering its third week of indoor practice in the new cage on Soldiers Field, the University baseball squad of about 40 men is passing from its warming-up period to longer and harder work-outs.

Yesterday the Harvard players went through their first blackboard drill, practicing running plays, in which two or three men were on base, as well as various tight situations which arise in a game.

The pitchers, after having limbered up their arms for the past two weeks, are beginning to practice curves, and candidates for other positions on the team are finding difficulty in connecting with the hurler's offerings.

Commencing next week, there will probably be indoor practice games although no tentative teams have yet been picked. After this, with weather permitting, the squad will probably begin its outdoor work around April 1. The final group of candidates is expected to report shortly when the baseball men who are now on the hockey squad will report.

With just four weeks of practice left before the first game with Boston University on April 6, no men are, as yet, absent from practice because of injuries or sore arms. T. W. Gilligan '31 and E. J. Des Roches '31, who have been out because of minor operations, will soon be back. On the day following the B. U. game, the University team will depart on its annual southern trip which will extend throughout the entire Spring Recess.

The Freshman squad has been a little slower in getting under way and consequently has not developed as much as the University squad.