GIPSY SMITH THRILLS VAST P. B. H. CROWD

Prays for Harvard Students to Become Best Men America Has Known--Is Given Large Ovation

A capacity audience which crowded into Phillips Brooks House yesterday afternoon gave Gipsy Smith a hearty reception when the remarkable evangelist came across the river to turn his attention to the undergraduates.

As soon as he began to speak, his hearers were impressed with the sincerity which he radiated. He confessed that he was frankly envious of the students at Harvard, ahead of whom lay all life's opportunities, for whom foundations are here being laid to help them build beautiful palaces, instead of mud huts.

How far different had been his lot, he exclaimed. A gipsy boy, he never went to school and never had books to read and learn from. He had no chance, and yet it was not his fault but his misfortune. The change in his life came when he found God. "I am as sure that I found God as I am that I shake hands with you, that the sun is shining; just as certain as a scientist who works out his positive laws."

Since God entered his life, Gipsy Smith says he has never ceased praying; and today he prays for Harvard students, that "you will became the best men America has ever known. God has put a great investment into you, and expects a big return; but if He could do so much for a no-man like myself, what can He not do for you!"

Gipsy recalled Edison's recent remark that none of the inventor's acquaintances are happy and yet Gipsy Smith claims he knows of numerous women who, penniless as they may be, are happy because God is in their hearts."

At the conclusion of his speech, he remarked on how glad he had been to accept the invitation to speak at the University, and expressed his hope that many men would come to hear him in Boston. He was given an ovation by the enthusiastic audience.