FAVORABLE 1931 TENNIS SEASON ANTICIPATED

Coach Cowles Looks Forward to Well Balanced Freshman Aggregation in Coming Matches

Coach Cowles stated yesterday that at present it seems as if the 1932 squad will be a well-balanced one, although there are no outstanding stars who have captured any scholastic titles out for the squad. The decision of W.B. Wood '32, third ranking junior singles player in the United States and co-holder of the national junior doubles championship, to play baseball instead of tennis robs the 1932 racquet team of an outstanding star.

The 30 men on the squad are at present working out of the inside court in the Freshman Athletic Building. The Divinity courts will be ready on Monday, but it is doubtful if there will be any outside practice until after vacation. At that time a tournament will be held for those remaining on the squad to determine the exact personnel of the team. Matches with outside schools will start within a week after the men return from vacation. About 15 men are to be retained on the team at the conclusion of the tournament.

Of the candidates practicing now it seems that D.M. Frame '32 has the advantage over the rest. Frame played in the indoors junior championships in New York during Christmas vacation and went to the finals in the doubles. J.T. Foster '33, G.B. Ray '32 and W.A. Beyer '32 have also shown up well.