H.L. SHATTUCK WILL SUCCEED C.F. ADAMS

Uninterrupted Control of University Finances Unusually Long--Takes Post in Washington

Official announcement of the resignation of Charles Francis Adams '88, Secretary of the Navy under the new administration, from the position of treasurer of Harvard University and member of the Harvard Corporation was made yesterday after a special meeting of the Board of Overseers. At the same time, Henry Lee Shattuck '01, prominent Boston legislator and lawyer, was appointed to succeed Mr. Adams as treasurer.

For 30 years, Mr. Adams has served without interruption as treasurer of Harvard University and a member of the Corporation. His connection with the Corporation has not been merely nominal or advisory, but he has been an active member, and as such one of the seven longest in term of office since the founding of the Corporation in 1650.

Shattuck Prominent Graduate

Mr. Shattuck is well-known as Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee in the Massachusetts Legislature. He returned last year to membership in the firm of Ropes, Gray, Boyden, and Perkins, from which he had resigned in 1920 when he entered the legislature. For four years, Mr. Shattuck was a director of the Harvard Alumni Association. He has served, also, as a member of the council of the Harvard Law School Association, and in 1924 and 1925 he was chairman of the committee for the nomination of Overseers.

Father Head of Medical School

Mr. Shattuck's father, Dr. Frederick Cheever Shattuck '63, was an instructor in the Harvard Medical School from 1879 to 1888, and Jackson Professor of Clinical Medicine from 1888 to 1912. In 1913, he was made an Overseer, and served until 1919. He died in January, 1929. The grandfather of Mr. Shattuck, George Cheyne Shattuck, 1831, also a physician, was dean of the Harvard Medical School from 1864 to 1869.

When the Senate on Tuesday confirmed the Cabinet nominations of President Hoover, the University was free to announce that it had accepted Mr. Adam's resignation and appointed Mr. Shattuck as his successor.