P. B. H. ACTIVITIES TO DROP FEATURE

Individual Harvard Meeting to Take Place of Intercollegiate Gathering on Program

As a further development along the lines of the reconstruction that has been inaugurated by the administrators of the Phillips Brooks Association, it has been definitely determined that Harvard will no longer be officially represented at the annual intercollegiate conference held at Northfield, Mass. For approximately three decades representative delegations from the University have participated in the discussions that have been carried on by the intercollegiate organizations engaged in this type of work.

The present departure is the natural outcome of a decision made last June to abandon the accustomed contribution to the New England Student Work of the Y. M. C. A. In the past the Phillips Brooks House has contributed annually the sum of $200. to this work and since a considerable portion of the money thus raised by the Y. M. C. A. has been used to defray the extra expenses of the Northfield Conference the absence of an officially designated delegation is a logical step in the sequence of events.

In order to permit practical discussion among a more homogeneous group, with the purpose of being therefore more effective in accomplishing the desired end, the organization will substitute in lieu of participation in the Northfield gathering, an individual Harvard conference, to be held in the fall for students in the University. This was tried for the first time last fall, when 50 or 60 members of the various representative organizations gathered at Cedar Hill for a week-end discussion of practical problems that arose within the University. It was this conference that ultimately led to the sweeping reorganization of the Brooks House, that is felt in the present new move.