TWENTY-NINE ARE CHOSEN WINNERS OF DETUR AWARDS

Total Lower Than Last Year, When 45 Prizes Were Given Out--Original Gift Made by Edward Hopkins

Upon the excellence of their previous year's academic record, 29 members of the University have been awarded Detur Prizes, given annually to students in the College or the Engineering School who for the first time win scholarships in the First Group or who graduate with degrees summa cum laude. Dean Hanford will make the awards in person some time this week.

Donor Came to America in 1637

These prizes consisting of books with rare illustrations, books from noted presses, first editions, and presentation copies, are awarded through a foundation established by Edward Hopkins, a London merchant who came to America in 1637, and who was several times governor of the Connecticut colony. He made numerous educational bequests to New England in order "to give some encouragement in those foreign plantations, for the breeding up of hopeful youths, both at the grammar school and college, for the public service of the country in future times."

Rare "Press" Books on List

The policy, formerly pursued by the University, of giving books within a student's particular field of concentration has been somewhat changed this year, and instead books are being presented which are of more general bibliographical interest. More copies than usual have been bought directly from London book-stores, and on the list there are a number of "press" books, exact replicas of world-famous editions. Except in a few cases where the contemporary cloth bindings are of such interest as to be worth preserving, all volumes are bound in calf or morocco. The seal and bookplate of the Hopkins Fund have been stamped in the cover of each book.

The prizes this year were awarded to the following men:

Class of 1928

Edgar Malone Hoover, Jr., of Boise, Idaho; Wladimir Samuel Seidel, of New York City; Russell Thornley Sharpe, of East Greenwich, R.L. Israel Solomon Stamm, of Norwich, Conn.

Class of 1929

Harry Brenner, of Roxbury; Richard Henry Chapman, of Leominster; Harry Michael Dragos, of Dorchester; David Samuel Gruber, of Roxbury; Sidney Sylvester Korzenik, of New York City; Dwight Hunter Marfield, of Dayton, O.; Sumner Byron Myers, of Winthrop; Saul Rosenzweig, of Malden; George Alfred Sawin, of Englewood, Pa.

Class of 1930

Warren Allen Abrahamson, of Brockton; Lester Cramer, of Norwich, Conn.; Joseph Leo Doob, of New York City; John King Fairbank, of Sloux Falls, S. D.; Martin Freedman, of, Springfield; Abraham Grossman, of Beverly; James Allison McCullough, of Green Island, N. Y.; Edward Cilley Weist, of New York City; John Charles de Wilde, of Shiloh, N. J.

Class of 1931

Hyde Gilbert Buller, of Cambridge; Arnold Louis Kowarsky, of Brooklyn, N.Y.; Zehman Irving Mosesson, of Uniontown, Pa.; Arthur Sard, of New York City; Solomon Eliazer Shershevsky, of Dorchester; David Wies, of Malden.