PALE HANDS GONE RED

It was a happy moment for the devotees of the "little theatre movement" when a few days ago Eva LeGallienne, famed director of the New York Civic Repertory, figuratively tweaked the beard of the Admiral of the Boston Navy Yard. Although the Admiral is a willing sponsor of organizations charitable and organizations artistic, his patriotism made him blanch with horror at the thought of including within the sphere of art, that which the artist confessed to be Communistic.

But in the struggle between art for art's sake and marching nationalism, Miss Le Gallienne sounded the note that art was as universal as the flagwaver's fear of that magic monosyllable--"Red".

Mustering forces to defend the national honor, the American Legian prepared to call the roll, Boston dowagers girded their armor to fall in line, daring debutantes atremble with excitement equipped themselves with stamps and awaited the word to blot from the invidious Artkino program the names of those who led the rest. Swelling the ranks, officers of commonwealth and of nation prepared to rush from points afar to insure the adequacy of the patriotic boycott on the one little Sovkino film and the one little theatre. Racing to the Hub of the revolutionary district, cabinet officials turned over in their minds ambitious plans to strengthen the tottering morale of the navy, while Moscow fairly seethed with indignation at the impending suspension of artistic recognition.

Accustomed to Coventry but not to assault, the little theatre will probably adopt a permanent policy of tweaking august official beards. Such irreverence is art for the sake of art.