Athletic Year Has Been the Most Active in History of University

Baseball and Crew-Have Yet to Complete Schedules -- IntraMural Sports Take Leap

A degree of activity and success unprecedented in the annals of Harvard sport is the outstanding feature of the current athletic year now coming to a close. With only baseball and crew still to complete their seasons. Harvard has a Harvard has a record of many more victories than defeats in University sports.

Another feature of the year has been the rapid growth of intramural sports in accordance with the avowed Harvard "athletics for all" policy. A total of 1725 men have taken part in organized intramural sports while the number of men playing squash tennis, and rowing independently has been correspondingly large as evidenced by the heavy and continuous use of all available equipment. These figures show a large increase over previous years.

FOOTBALL

Coach Horween's third year as Harvard football mentor commenced auspiciously with a nucleus of lettermen and promising candidates coming up from Coach Casey's undefeated Freshman eleven of 1927 to build on.

The chief problem at the beginning of the year was the construction of a good line and in this respect line-coach R. J. Dunne in his second year of service saw his efforts bear fruit in what proved to be one of Harvard's most powerful forward walls.

Coach Horween early decided to abandon the huddle which had marked his attack of previous years, but the same fundamental form of running offense was employed from the start. The characteristic formation was that of the double wing back variety with a flying interferer on all plays. Starting with excellent backfield material Horween was enabled to get his attacking forces rolling earlier and functioning more smoothly than usual.

The first two games resulted in one-sided victories over Springfield and North Carolina by scores of 30 to 0 and 20 to 0. The Crimson eleven displayed a wealth of power in these encounters but as usual in the early season lacked polish and finesse. A noticeable weakness, which was to prove a nemesis all season, early began to crop out. This was a failure to use or cope with an aerial game successfully.

With these two victories behind them the Harvard warriors entered the West Point game with high hopes of upsetting the touted Cadet eleven. Here again the team evinced evidences of unlimited power, stopping the redoubtable Cagle, Army half-back for the only time all season, and playing the invaders' running attack to a standstill. Had it not been for a pair of fumbles and two bad passes from center. Harvard might well have come out on top; instead of on the short end of a 15 to 0 count.

The next week-end found a highly-rated Dartmouth team sweeping into Cambridge and running amuck of a driving Crimson offense. It was sheer power which enabled the University eleven to carry the ball practically the whole length of the gridiron in the closing minutes of play and add the final touchdown to a glorious 19 to 7 victory. The Green score was the result of a clever aerial attack which frequently baffled the Cambridge defenders.

The second team got a chance to show its ability in the next week's encounter against Lehigh, and, once started, did so with a vengeance. The lighter Pennsylvania out fit, though game to the end, was no match for Horween's men and bowed under an avalanche of touchdowns, 39 to 0.

Pennsylvania brought a well-rounded outfit to Cambridge the next week and for the first time the Crimson was really outplayed. But a scoreless tie would certainly have resulted if another bad fumble had not allowed the Quakers to score early in the game. The final outcome was 7 to 9.

The next week the inevitable reaction of taking a team too lightly was suffered and Holy Cross, with an exceptional defensive organization was able to earn a scoreless tie.

Despite its recent disappointments the Crimson-jerseyed players went to New Haven with all the confidence in the world. The result was a smashing 17 to 0 victory over the Elis, the first Harvard triumph since 1922. The work of Captain A. E. French '29 and David Guarnaccia '29, all season the backbone of the Horween offense, was the outstanding feature of the game. But their brilliance was made possible by a marvellous line which tore the Blue to shreds and payed the way for Harvard's return to football prestige.

At the end of the season letters were awarded to the following players: F. A. Pickard '29, J. A. Prior '29, J. E. Barrett '30, T. H. Alcock '29, J. N. Trainer '31, John Parkinson '29, B. H. Ticknor '31, B. H. Dorman '29, W. D. Ticknor '30, F. A. Clark '29, David Shaw '29, R. H. O'Connell,'30, J. G. Douglas '30, S. C. Burns '29, E. T. Putnam '30, George Crawford '29, A. E. French '29, A. W. Huguley '31, David Guarnaccia '29, W. R. Harper '30.

The returning lettermen elected Barrett to lead them during the 1929 season. Barrett plays tackle and was one of the important cogs in offense and defense all season.

The season came to an official close with the regular football banquet held during December at the Harvard Club of Boston. It was announced that Horween would return for another season and the speakers of the evening were W. J. Bingham '16. Director of Athletics, Horween, French, and Barrett.

Scores

Harvard, 30; Springfield, 0

Harvard, 20; North Carolina, 0

Harvard, 0; Army, 15

Harvard, 19; Dartmouth, 7

Harvard, 39; Lehigh, 0

Harvard, 0; Pennsylvania, 7

Harvard, 0; Holy Cross, 0

Harvard, 17; Yale, 0

SOCCER

With a record of five wins, five losses and two ties the Crimson soccer team finished a season of uncertainty but on the whole one of decided encouragement to future teams.

The turnout of men was good and Coach Kershaw started early to mould a team out of what was largely green timber. He had captain A. M. Stollmeyer '30, stellar back, to build around and soon had shaped up an eleven which managed to give a creditable account of itself through a hard schedule.

No games were lost by more than a one goal margin, and the final contest, with Yale was more or less in the nature of a normal triumph for Kershaw's charges. The Blue team, undefeatd in all its starts and rated as one of the best soccer outfits in the East was barely able to squeeze out a 2 to 1 victory after a hard struggle.

At the close of the season the captaincy for next year was once again voted to Stollmeyer whose steadily brilliant work was largely responsible for what success the Crimson had.

The announcement was made this spring that following the resignation of Kershaw as coach of soccer, the position had been awarded to J. F. Carr '28, captain of the eleven in his Senior year. Carr was coach of the Freshman team last fall which enjoyed a very successful season though losing to a powerful Blue aggregation.

Scores

Harvard, 3; Worcester Poly., 1.

Harvard, 1; Amherst, 2.

Harvard, 3; Army, 2.

Harvard, 2; Clark, 1.

Harvard, 1; Dartmouth, 2.

Harvard, 0; Northeastern, 1.

Harvard, 1; Williams, 1.

Harvard, 0; M. I. T., 1.

Harvard, 2; Pennsylvania, 1.

Harvard, 5; Springfield, 2.

Harvard, 1; Syracuse, 1.

Harvard, 1; Yale, 2.

CROSS COUNTRY

The cross-country team, led by its sensational captain J. L. Reid '29 enjoyed its usual successful season. Only one dual meet was dropped by Coach Mikkoloa's men, and they finished up the regular season with a 26 to 29 triumph over the Elis. The seconds were given a trial in a meet with Springfield. Connecticut Aggies and New Hampshire, and though outclassed they acquitted themselves creditably.

In the Intercollegiates at New York, Captain Reid ran a classy field into the ground to win by a good margin. The team took sixth place.

The captaincy for next year was voted to R. C. Aldrich '31 a Sophomore who performed steadily well all season.

Scores

Harvard, 18; Holy Cross, 39.

Harvard, 29; New Hampshire, 26.

Harvard, 28; Dartmouth, 34.

Harvard, 79; Springfield, 29. Conn. Aggies, 36. New Hampshire, 55.

Harvard, 26; Vale, 29.

In the intercollegiates Harvard placed sixth in a field of seventeen competing teams.

WINTER SPORTS

The winter season was not on the whole as successful in point of major victories as might have been hoped. It was however far form devoid of achievement in Harvard sport. The University polo trio, coming undefeated through a nine game schedule, winning the Class A league championship of Boston and the intercollegiate title for the first time, was a heraled of a new era for polo at the University. The aggregate of winter contests. including Freshman and second7CROSS COUNTRY LEADER WHO WON IN INTERCOLLEGIATES J. L. REID '29