Harvard-Yale Track Combination Doped to Lead Oxford-Cambridge

Teams Will Take Up Quarters Across Charles--Ninth Meet Opens July 13

By Frank Ryan

The combined track and field team of Oxford and Cambridge will meet the combined Harvard-Yale team in the Stadium, on the afternoon of July 13 and while it is impossible to gauge the strength of the English team with complete accuracy, it seems likely that the American collegians will repeat their 1925 victory. Oxford and Cambridge won the 1927 meet in England.

The English collegians are to sail for Montreal on Friday, and they will meet a picked team in the Canadian metropolis on July 6, before entering the United States for its meet in the Stadium The Oxford-Cambridge team, as was the case in 1925 also will meet a combined team of Princeton and Cornell athletes on teh Saturday following the Harvard-Yale engagement.

Harvard- Yale, team, which is to are included in the personnel of the English team. They are Bayes Norton, captain of the Yale team in 1926 Caleb F. Gates formerly of Princeton and E. R. McGill formerly of University of Florida Norton will compete in both sprints, and Gates in the shot-put, and McGill in the pole vault.

The Englishmen registered times and distances in their Stamford Bridge meet which were disappointing, and below expectations. Nevertheless Sartain of Cambridge broad jumped 22 feet, 8 1-2 inches and his team mate R. W. Evans was but two inches short of the mark. Green of Cambridge ran the mile in 4 minutes, 22 1-5 seconds, and Guttteridge of Cambridge was clocked in 1 minute, 57 1-5 seconds for the half mile. J. M. Pumphrey of Oxford ran three miles in 14 minutes, 59 seconds, while F. W. Teitcherine of Cambridge was just over 59 seconds for the quarter.

Almost four months will have elapsed between that March meet and the international meet when the English athletes compete in the Stadium, and Coach E. L. Farrell of Harvard and George Connors of Yale may well calculate that the Englishmen will improve those marks.

Only First Places Count

First places only will count in the meet scoring, except in case of a tie in first and then the meet will be decided on second places. A rough chart of performances would indicate that the Americans will get at least six first places, and that they can win on second places. An optimistic chart would give the Harvard-Yale team seven first places and nine second places it follows:

100-yards dash: S. B. Kiesselhorst, Y; B. M. Norton, Oxford.

220-Yard dash: C. H. Engle, Y.: B. M. Norton, O.

440-Yard run: C. H. Engle, Y.: F. Teitcherine, C.

880-yard run; M. H. Gutteridge, C. N. P. Hollowell, 41.

Mile run: C. E. G. Green, C.: David Cobb, H.

Two-mtle run: J. I. Reid, R.: J. M. Pumphrey, O.

Broad Jumn. W. J. Sartain, C.: W. Rovse, H.

High Jump: G. V. Wolf, Y.; G. M. Kuehn, H.

Shot put: C. F. Gates, O.; J. O'Gorman, Y.

Pole Vault: F. H. Sturdy, Y.; Ashley Poud, Y.

120-yard high hurdles: I. R. Mann, C.; A.Devoe, Y.

220-yard low hurdles: S. B. Kiesselhorst, Y.; Tupper, H.

In such a chart a number of strong Harvard runners such as Mason in the sprints, Cummings in the 440. Porter in the half mile, Fobes in the mile and Kuehn in the high jump, and Record in the high hurdles would be looked upon as liable to improve the American team's scoring.

The coming Stadium meet will be the ninth in the series of International contests between the track and field teams of Oxford and Cambridge and Harvard and Yale.

Competition between the English and American collegians dates back to the nineteenth century. The first set of games was held in London in 1899. Then, a team headed by J. T. Roche '99 of Harvard and T. R. Fisher '99 of Yale lost to Oxford and Cambridge 5-4.

The teams met at Mott Haven in 1901, the Harvard-Yale team winning 6-3. The series was not resumed until 1904. Then E. C. Rust '04 of Harvard and E. C. Clapp '04 of Yale were joint captains of a successful team, the only time the American collegians won in England. The score was 6-3.

Series Evened in 1911

Seven years passed until the teams met again. That meet in 1911 also was in London, and the series was evened with two victories each when the Oxford-Cambridge team won 5-4.

The world war caused a suspension of International contests but in 1921 Oxford and Cambridge sent a team to the Stadium the start of the biennial meetings. Harvard won that meet 8-2. Oxford and Cambridge won in London in 1923, by a score of 6 1-2 to 5 1-2.

The teams were tied in first places in the last Stadium meet in 1927, but Harvard and Yale won with 7 1-2 seconds to 4 1-2 seconds. The American Collegians were favored to win the meet in 1927 at London but Oxford and Cambridge developed unexpected strength and won 7-3.FRESHMAN CAPTAIN WHO WON PLACE ON H-Y TEAM E. E. RECORD '32