MONSIEUR DANGUY ENDS FENCING COACH CAREER

PINCHARD AMERICAN OLYMPIC COACH LAST SUMMER

Rene Pinchard has been engaged as fencing coach for next year to succeed Monsieur J. L. Danguy who has resigned because of ill health, it was announced last night by the Harvard Athletic Association. The new coach has been connected with the New York Fencers Club for the past three years, and was one of the American Olympic fencing coaches last summer. Pinchard will assume his duties at the opening of college in September.

Monsieur Danguy has been coach of the University fencing team since 1921, and has turned out several championship aggregations. His career has been a long and colorful one. After serving in the French army, Danguy graduated as a master at Joinville-le-Pont, and then taught, fencing for several years at the College of Rollen at Paris.

In 1891, Danguy went to London as head instructor of the MacPherson gymnasium. Later, he opened his own salle which he conducted for 17 years. In 1908 Danguy became chief instructor at the New York Fencers Club, where he remained until the end of the war. During this time, in 1912, he was coach of the American Olympic team.

Soon after coming to Harvard, Danguy produced outstanding teams, losing the Intercollegiate title in 1922 only because of technicalities of scoring after his team had defeated every opponent.