WILL NOT COMMENT ON PROBABLE USE OF WYETH BEQUEST

Unusual Terms of Will Which Was Probated Yesterday Allow Harvard Perfect Freedom of Expenditure

Harvard College authorities yesterday refused to make any comment on the gift of $5,000,000 which Harvard will receive as a result of the bequest of Stuart Wyeth '84, which was made known when his will was read in probate court in Philadelphia yesterday.

No statement as to when the money would be received or how it would be used was forthcoming from University Hall. It is expected, however, that some decision as to the dispensation of the fund will be announced within a short time.

Perfect freedom is allowed the Harvard authorities in the expenditure of this gift through the unusual provisions of the will, which made no stipulations whatsoever as to what use the money should be put: Wyeth not even expressing the wish that the bequest should be considered as a memorial. This uncommon feature has aroused considerable speculation in University circles.

Mr. Wyeth died at his home in Philadelphia on December 30. He was born in Philadelphia, attended Harvard, and received his degree in 1884. After graduation, he began the study of law in the office of the late George M. Dallas and continued it at the University of Pennsylvania law school. Upon completing his course, he did not begin practicing, but succeeded his father as president of the firm of John Wyeth and Brothers, a chemical manufacturing firm, which position he held until his death last month.