From an Alumnus

LETTERS ON THE LEGION

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

May an old graduate send his congratulations and best wishes to the CRIMSON for upholding and exhibiting the best traditions of Harvard in the American Legion controversy. Of course the CRIMSON'S facts are beyond dispute. But the fact that the CRIMSON takes up this matter and battles for it reawakens my confidence in the educated young manhood of the nation quite apart from the merits of the prohibition question as such. What this Boston press should have done and did not do the CRIMSON has done and done it well.

But what specially gives me satisfaction is that the CRIMSON has raised and maintains the standard of public righteousness and does in the face of what it must have known would cause the usual hypocritical outburst of pseudopatriots on such occasions. It will be of interest that the same question was raised in the early days of the Grand Army of the Republic and by steady stages of courageous battling within and without what started as a minority for better behavior finally won out. My thanks as an American and a Harvard man. '91.   (Name Withheld by Request.) Boscawen, N. H.