ARMA VIRUMQUE

The desire to attract attention and to be a conspicuous figure among one's fellow men is undoubtedly one of the most fundamental and primitive reactions of the race, and until comparatively recent times the college student has been singularly fortunate in the achievement of such preeminence. But of late years the feverish exploitation of gin, necking, and sartorial eccentricities has been to no avail against the far more adroit advertising of Masons, Elks and the Ku Klux Klan, and the unfortunate collegian is faced with the possibility of being recognized by the public in all his shame as a perfectly normal individual.

For the final blow has been dealt, and by none other than the American Legion, which has a number of methods quite remarkably its own of coming before the public eye. In witness whereof Boston is at this very moment reverberating to the martial (albeit slightly unsteady and irregular) tramp of feet, the blat of tubas, the rattle of canes (in Heu of musketry) and the clash of an indescribable array of colors. Her citizenry has the opportunity of feasting its eyes upon an unparalleled collection of 100 per cent Americans and hats. Admittedly not as many of these ardent militarists have witnessed the firing of a rifle with intent to kill as one might at first be led to suppose, but the spirit of Tom Sawyer seems to have been sufficiently revived so that tales of heroism are not lacking. What chance has the collegiate youth against such splendor? Obviously nothing, and may God have mercy on his soul!