Senator Walsh Declares United States Should Arm Up to Treaty Limit to Gain Disarmament--Regrets Poor Progress Since War

"There is too much talk about disarmament in Europe today and too little actual disarming, with the result that the 12 years since the World War have seen a regrettable lack of progress toward real disarmament," declared Senator David I. Walsh in an interview at his home in Clinton on the eve of the Armistice Day holiday.

"Each Armistice Day reminds us of the World War and the awful toll of death and suffering it brought to all humanity. If we are to avoid another such holocaust and if peace is to be maintained in Europe, a continent now fraught with jealousies and ripe for another conflict, there must be real disarmament. All the treaties and pacts in the world renouncing war will not suffice unless they provide for concrete reductions in military forces by all nations," continued Senator Walsh.

When asked if the United States should arm up to the full limitations of her naval treaties, Senator Walsh said, "Yes, but only because this is the only way to achieve ultimate disarmament." He explained that in past disarmament conferences, the United States has been handicapped by having a navy that was relatively small and not being able to disarm to as great a degree as other nations with already topheavy fleets if the United States were armed up to the ratios, she could then agree to any cut in a percentage basis with other countries, and still maintain proper protection against any world power.

In conslusion, Senator Walsh said, "it is manifest madness in times such as these when not only the United States but the whole world is in the throes of a severe depression and millions of people are in want that we should heap on the backs of business men and workers the gigantic financial burden of great armies and navies. If Armistice Day has a purpose it should be the forming of the resolve to bring to an end the present excessive armaments and the great tax burdens of which they are the cause."