THE RETORT POLITICK

Senator Walsh elsewhere in today's CRIMSON gives a list of the qualifications for those intending to enter politics as a profession but he fails to mention the advantages and attractions of such a career for the college graduate. At present it is decidedly not the thing for the young man to be a professional politician. Statistics on the Harvard class of 1910, by Stuart Chase show that politics is almost as unpopular as the ministry.

It is perfectly true that a knowledge of American History and a legal education are decided assets to the politician, but a thick skin is even more valuable. A profession such as this which is tainted by the tactics of its less honorable members requires a certain imperviousness to misconceptions and in-appreciation. To be enrolled in any of the political parties makes strange bedfellows, whom the aspiring young candidate must accept or give the appearance of accepting, without reserve.

Perhaps the unpleasant contacts of the early stages of a political apprenticeship discourage such ambitions or perhaps the seeds of indifference and cynicism have been too well planted in the American mind to shake them out of their attitude of laissez faire towards the management of public affairs. A more far sighted conception of the importance of the responsibilities to be assumed in political activity and courage and willingness on the part of college men to enter an unpopular profession would put the control of government on a healthier and more efficient basis.