Architects Sink Elk Horn Theory of Dunster Crest With Flood of Heraldic Terminology--Description Baffles the Uninitiated

While the two coats of arms being erected on the pediments of Dunster House may not hold any occult significance for students of antiquity they nevertheless are the bearers of imposing heraldic titles.

The blazon of Henry Dunster, which is on the right wing of the House, facing the river, is to the casual observer just three more elks with the top of a castle and a bent arm on top, but here is the official description: "Arms:

Gules three stags caboched or, Crest: at the top of a tower argent, an arm and hand vested gules, cuffed argent, holding a tilting spear sable, pointing dexter." To decipher 'one might explain that "gules" means red, "vested" designates wearing, "sable" black, "caboched" showing the full face but nothing of the neck, and "dexter" right.

The arms of Dunster's own college. Magdalene College of Cambridge, consists of "Quarterly per pale indented or and azure on a bend of the second between two eagles displayed or a fret between two martlets of the last. Supporters, two antelopes gules horned, chained, and collared, or Motto, 'Guarde Ta Foy."

"Quarterly" here means by quarters, "martiets" are birds without beak or feet.