GARROD TO GIVE SECOND SERIES OF NORTON TALKS

Lectures Commence Next Tuesday With "Robert Bridges, 'the Testament of Beauty'"

Heathcote William Garrod, Fellow of Merton College, and Sometime Professor of Poetry at Oxford, who holds the Charles Eliot Norton Chair of Poetry this year, will give the four remaining lectures of his series, beginning Tuesday, February 18. The lectures will be given on consecutive Tuesdays in the Fogg Large Lecture Room and will be open to the public.

Professor Garrod will speak in his first lecture, next Tuesday, on "Robert Bridges, 'The Testament of Beauty'." The following Tuesday, February 25, his subject will be "Arthur Hugh Clough", and on Tuesday, March 4, he will speak on "Methods of Criticism in Poetry". The series will be concluded Tuesday, March 11, when Professor Garrod will speak on "Matthew Arnold as Critic."

Professor Garrod began his group of lectures at the University last fall when he delivered four lectures during the months of October and November. At that time, he spoke on "Poetry and the Teaching Office", followed by two lectures on "Matthew Arnold" and a lecture on "Emerson."

Professor Garrod is the author of several books of criticism, and was editor of the Oxford book of Latin Verse in 1912. He was once editor of the Journal of Philology.

The Charles Eliot Norton Chair of Poetry was founded by C. C. Stillman '98, and was held in 1926-27 by Gilbert Murray, Requis Professor of Greek at Oxford. In 1927-28, the chair was held by Professor Eric R. McLaglen, Director and Secretary of the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. The chair was vacant last year.

Professor Garrod will be at home in his rooms every Thursday at 5 o'clock, when he will be glad to see any undergraduates who care to come in.