Robinson Upholds President Lowell's Belief, Young Students are Brighter

President of College of City of New York Advances Conclusive Figures

Dr. Frederick B. Robinson, President of the College of the City of New York upheld in a recent statement the theory recently advanced by President Lowell that the younger undergraduates at colleges generally excel in scholarship those of more mature years.

During the past three semesters the personnel bureau has given more than 30,000 psychological tests to entering Freshmen and Sophomores. The tabulated results, it was reported, reveal a distinct superiority of the younger men. It also was announced, in agreement with President Lowell's findings, that a steady decrease has been noted in the average age of entering students.

Average Age Decreasing

"The average age of students actually admitted to the college is tending to decrease." Dr. Robhinson declared. "For instance, in the class entering in February, 1929, there were 43 Freshmen under 16: In September, 1929, there were 121. Although statistics are not complete for this term, the director of the personnel bureau believes that it will be lower than a year ago. This average is lower than in most colleges and we attribute it to the fact that our severe entrance requirements exclude students of lower mentality. It is true that as a group the men who complete high school at an early age are intellectually superior "to students who complete high school at Is or over."

This view is corroborated by statistical findings, he said. In the September term the average of entering Freshmen was 17.4. One was 14.2 and there were many who were 15. 16. and 17. The oldest Freshmen was 63. Dr. Robinson declared that the group below the average entering age made better records and in general were more successful than the older students. The majority of those dropped for poor scholarship came from the over-age group, he said. The 33-year-old man was dropped out.

Study Other Phases

"The inquiry concerning the relationship of age on entering college to academic effectiveness is only one division of the investigation." Dr. Robinson explained. "We shall also study the relation of general intelligence as gauged by the tests to success in studies generally and in particular studies. Furthermore, we shall seek to discover whether traits of character can be actually diagnosed in advance. So that they will average up with the subsequent performance in the various college departments. Thus far our experience indicates that Dr. Lowell was right in his remarks."