IT'S SMART TO BE SOBER

Interesting in the light of recent anti-prohibition furor is the report of dry campaigning in the University of Michigan. This year, at least, the success of Ann Arbor's gargantuan and perennial Prom will not depend upon the quality of the neighborhood boot-legger, for when the long expected day arrives, College watchmen reinforced by local police will guard the dark corners where erring stags were won't to drink their fill. It is said that none but the brave deserve the fair and brave indeed will be the undergraduate who under threat of expulsion finds means whereby he may overlook the canker in the rose or blur the blemish on the girl of his choice.

Although in this case the dictum is from above, this bit of news fits in with a trend that sooner or later is bound to become dominant in American colleges. Prohibition has so enormously increased the emphasis on drinking as a part of the extra-curricular activity that a revulsion is already in embryo. In the future sobriety will come into vogue; the advantages of the sober or partially, sober over the obviously influenced will obtain due publicity; and the prom-trotter of tomorrow will no longer be forced to battle against an intoxication more sure though less subtle than that induced by her natural talents. The Michigan authorities are to be congratulated for so neatly nipping this potential movement in the bud by an assertion of power from on high.