H.A.A. ADDS BOXING TO LIST OF MINOR SPORT SCHEDULES

Present Boxing Instructor to Continue in His Work--First Season to Get Under Way Next Winter

Agitation for an intercollegiate boxing team at Harvard was brought to a triumphant close yesterday when the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic sports voted to elevate the manly art to the ranking of a minor sport. L. J. Conley will continue to act as coach.

A petition had been handed to the athletic authorities in December requesting that boxing be recognized as a sport for intercollegiate competition, and this petition, after being sanctioned by the Student Council was referred back to the committee with the resultant approval.

Boxing, formerly considered a sport unsuitable for intercollegiate competition, has experienced growing popularity during the last few years. Penn, Yale, and N. Y. U. have had teams for several years, while only last year Dartmouth followed suit. All four of these teams will probably have places on the Harvard schedule which is to be arranged for early 1931.

At Harvard up to the present time boxing has existed merely as an intramural sport. Under the tutelage of L. L. Conley, more than 250 men have received instruction in the fistic art each year; unofficial meets have been held with M. I. T. from time to time. The season formerly culminated in the annual tournament, an event which from the numbers of spectators and participants has evidenced its extreme popularity. It has ranked with crew and track as one of the most popular winter sports, but has failed to secure recognition as a minor sport here on account of the Student Council's persistent refusal to sanction it.

The first season's schedule should get under way soon after the Christmas vacation next year. A schedule will be drafted and a manager appointed earlier in the year.