AMONG THE TURKS

The newest pawn in the struggle centered about the juice of the grape is Zaro Agha, recent American Anti-Alcohol importation, who is to incite chatter in Temperance troups and Women's Clubs from coast to coast. From the monotony of doorkeeping at the city hall of Istambul, faithful Zaro has never sought surcease in bacchanalian revel. For one hundred and fifty-six years he has serenely bowed before the city factota and with the same contemplative serenity seen eleven consecutive wives pass from his bed and board into the lap of Mother Earth.

Harvard students, college students in general, and those considering the career of a doorkeeper should take warning from this horrible example of what Prohibition has accomplished among the Turks. The doorkeeper who watches American politicians emerging from American city halls for one hundred and fifty-six years must develop either a profound cynicism or an even deeper mental anaethesia. As for the eleven wives, a consideration of the suffering usually resultant from one provides a deterrent. Although monotony in professional life doubtless requires the variety in the domestic side, both evils strike a severe blow at the teetotaler instead of aiding his cause. For youth just starting out in life Prohibition thus presents another serious problem. One hundred and fifty-six years of life and eleven wives threaten those who obey the law. However, these are the formative years; youth still has a chance.