IMPEDIMENTUM AQUATICUM

Andover has its "smoking pro" Wellesley has its "social pro", Princeton its "automobile pro." Illinois and Stanford have their football pros; but Harvard has a stellar galaxy; varying in kind and degree, the undergraduate treads a precarious way through the maze of academic, language, and athletic probations; the student counterpart of the notorious absent-minded professor finds himself enmeshed in cut pro; medicine balls and Henienway gymnasium are the usual compulsory exercise for the lackadaisical Freshman. Even dogs in the dormitory prove a stumbling block for the unwary.

But an important essential of any educational institution is the facility for research. To those who were suffering under the fond illusion that the administration had exhausted every available outlet for new restrictions, the announcement that Harvard will not award a degree to any of her sons who cannot maintain his watery equilibrium, comes as a pleasant indication of the University's continued experimentation in the field of curricular requirements. However, another hurdle more or less in the college race means little to the weary undergraduate after a few years practice dodging the devious man-traps lurking in and about the A.B. degree.

In placing the sinking Sophomore on probation the authorities seem to defeat one of the major principles of educators. They forget that with a more mature perspective acquired in the last two years of college, the student is much better qualified to meet this latest wrinkle of higher education with a more proper appreciation.