ROMAN HOLIDAY

Those to whom the classics are best represented by the unmarked graves of tattered text books and whose Latin is bounded by the three parts of Gaul will go to the Sanders Theatre tonight to at least a compromise with the ancients. Those who have found in the classics a metal that never tarnishes will go to be again confirmed. When in 1906 the Classical Club presented "Agamemnon", the twentieth century found its somber colors still unfaded under the stadium sky. In 1930 the robust comedy of Plautus will paint in lighter, sharper colors the humors and frailties of a no less common humanity.

In this production of "Menaechmi" every erudite effort has been turned towards an exact classical setting, even to the conventional musical instruments of the times. Although the action is easy to follow, the audience will be given translations prepared by two Club members. Out of the dust of many years, the illimitable swaggerer and beggar, man of the world and man in the street will emerge and command a modern interpretation. It is rumored that the ghost of old Plautus himself, lured from his pleasant Roman Hell by the familiar setting, will chuckle in the wings to frighten the censor.