PREMISES OF DEBATING COUNCIL PLAN OUTLINED

Harrington Summarizes Assumptions on Which Plan is Based--Repeal of Prohibition Hardly Possible

The premises on which the Harvard Debating Council plan for solving the liquor question rests were stated by G.W. Harrington '30, president of the council.

"In proposing out solution," Harrington said, "we have assumed first that present conditions are intolerable, and secondly that it is impossible to repeat to the Eighteenth Amendment. Repeat requires a two-thirds majority in each of the legislatures of 36 of the 48 states plus of two-thirds majority in both house of the federal congress. It has been calculated that one thirty-fifth of the population of the United States could prevent repeal. Oar third assumption is that something should be done about the situations.

"The Debating Council plan provides strict enforcement in every state where public sentiment wants and supports it, while it leaves the states untouched where public sentiment is opposed to enforcement, except in that it prohibits the operation of the saloon and favors the teaching of temperance."