FIVE MARKS FALL AS NORTHWESTERN WINS SWIM MEET

Purple Captain Garners Three Firsts, Helps Team Get Grown--Moles and Wildcat Relay Set N.C.A.A. Marks

What was probably the greatest collegiate swimming meet ever held under the auspices of the National Collegiate Swimming Association came to a climactic close on Saturday night when, after two days of preliminaries and finals the 104 competitors had swept aside five records, two of them world marks, and equalled one before more than 1500 persons who helped dedicate Harvard's new swimming edifice. The meet in general set a high standard for collegiate swimming in a pool proclaimed by the swimmers themselves the fastest in the country.

Last year in the meet in St. Louis, the natators broke a record in every event, but Saturday five of these marks were cracked anew and Ray Ruddy, of Columbia, and George Kojac, of Rutgers, set marks in the 440-yard freestyle and the 150 back-stroke respectively that now stand as the best ever. In Friday's events Bud Moles, Princeton's crack breaststroker, broke the mark for 200 yards in his event when he covered the distance in two minutes, 34 seconds. Also in the preliminaries on Friday, the Northwestern medley relay team clipped one fifth of a second off of the 300-yard medley mark, and Al Schwartz. Northwestern speed merchant, sped to a new figure in the 220 freestyle and equalled the record in the 50-yard freestyle.

Schwartz Outstanding

Schwartz was the outstanding performer of the meet taking three firsts for 15 points and establishing a new mark for individual point scorers to shoot at. He was also the deciding factor in establishing the team winner for his individual total gave Northwestern a big preponderance which even the balanced Michigan aggregation couldn't overcome. The Purple piled up 30 points to the Wolverines 24. Rutgers pulled up in third place with 17, leading Princeton, Stanford, and Columbia who had 15, 12, and 10 respectively. Dartmouth and Pennsylvania garnered four points each, while Brown, Fordham, Iowa, and Minnesota completed the list of scorers with three each.

Michigan took a big lead in the point scoring at the very start when their crack relay team. Big Ten champions, paddled to a clear cut victory in the opening event despite Kojac's valiant effort for Rutgers. Following this, Bud Moles again asserted his supremacy among the back-strokers, churning through the waters for an easy win, al though he didn't better the record he set up the day before.

Ruddy Beats Clapp

Then came three events that put last year's records in the dim past. Schwartz cleaved through the water in a hectic fifty in which less than a foot separated the five swimmers: Ruddy outlasted Clapp of Stanford and Captain Ault of Michigan in the longest race of the evening; and the powerful Kojac, in his favorite backstroke style, pulled himself along through the foam more than a body length ahead of all the rest in the 150-yard backstroke. Schwartz returned to the starting end for the second time and led the way again, this time in the century.

In the fancy diving it was Throndson, Stanford captain, and Lobdell of Iowa that got all the applause and it was the former who won the judges' decision by a little more than two points. The 150-yard medley was the novelty of the evening since it was a new event. There is no record listed for it but Kojac set a mark that might stand for some time when he splashed in ahead of Harms of Fordham who had won the event at the Yale meet last week-end. Harms had the advantage during the 50 yards of breast stroke but once the Rutgers star got on his back there was no stopping him and he gained such a big advantage that Harms was swallowing his foam all through the rest of the race.

The summary:

Two hundred-yard relay--Won by Michigan (F. Walaitis, F. Hosmer, I. Smith and R. Walker); second Rutgers (W. Marquette, M. Smith, F. Jenks, and G. Kojac); third, Dartmouth (E. Smith, A. Spiegel, F. McCord and R. Cukor); fourth, Northwestern (V. Wilson, R. Hinch, W. Covode, and D. Peterson). Time--1m. 37 1-5s. Princeton disqualified for not touching.

Two hundred-yard breast stroke--Won by Edward Moles (Princeton); second V. Manych (Princeton); third, R. Howlett (Northwestern); fourth, P. Callahan (Columbia). Time--2m., 36 3-5s.

Fifty yards free style--Won by A. Schwartz (Northwestern); second, F. Walaitis (Michigan); third, R. Walker (Michigan); fourth, V. Wilson (Northwestern). Time--24s. (equals record).

Four hundred and forty-yard free style--Won by Ray Ruddy (Columbia); second, Austin Clapp (Stanford); third, Garnett Ault (Michigan); fourth, Thomas Phillips (Rutgers). Time--4m. 55 3-5s. (new national intercollegiate and world record).

One hundred and fifty-yard backstroke Won by George Kojac (Rutgers); second, Lowell Marsh (Minnesotta); third, R. Hinch (Northwestern); fourth, N. P. Arnold (Brown). Time--1m., 38s. (new national intercollegiate and world's record).

One hundred-yard free style--Won by Albert Schwartz (Northwestern); second, Robert Walker (Michigan); third, R. S. Hall (Brown); fourth, I. Smith (Michigan) Time--55s.

One hundred and fifty-yard medley swim Won by George Kojac (Rutgers); second August Harms (Fordham); third, John Merriam (Pennsylvania); fourth, Frank Booth (Stanford). Time--1m., 40 3-5s. (new national collegiate record).

Two hundred and twenty-yard free style Won by Albert Schwartz (Northwestern) second, Austin Clapp (Stanford); third, Ray Ruddy (Columbia); fourth, Garnett Alba (Michigan). Time--2m. 16 3-5s. (new national collegiate record).

Fancy diving--Won by Threndson (Stanford), 109.20; second, Lobdell (Iowa) 107.76; third, Grandy (Pennsylvania), 87.48 fourth, Brooks (Princeton), 82.22