ZIPF WILL BE ASSISTANT DEAN IN MAYO'S ABSENCE

Will Serve Next Year During Mayo's Leave of Absence--Recently Printed Thesis on Relative Frequency

L. S. Mayo'10, assistant dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, has been granted a leave of absence for the academic year 1930-31, it was announced yesterday by G. H. Chase, '96, dean of the school. Mayo will be replaced by George Kingsley Zipf '24, of Freeport, Illinois, who will serve as acting assistant dean for the next academic year. Zipf, who will enter on his duties on September 1, 1930, has been a member of the Graduate School since 1925, receiving his S.B. degree in 1923 and his A. M. in 1928, and is this year an instructor in German. He recently published a thesis, "Relative Frequency as a Determinant of Phonetic Change," summarized in an earlier issue of the CRIMSON.

Mayo took his Bachelor's degree in 1910 and his Master's degree in 1911. He was one of the first men to be appointed assistant dean of the College in 1916, and served in this capacity until 1919, and again from 1924 to 1927. His appointment as assistant dean of the Graduate School came in 1927.