Brain over Brawn

THE PRESS

University teams set a new record for losses Saturday. Princeton lost three out of three baseball games, two out of two track meets, one out of two lacrosse matches, and two out of three tennis contests. Tiger oarsmen bowed to Yale in three out of four crew races. With reckless indifference to the virtues of conformity, the golfers won from Brown and Williams, and the Freshmen triumphed in crew, lacrosse, and tennis. No doubt the good yearling material will be eliminated before long.

What is wrong with Princeton sport? To those ostrich-like souls who deny that anything is wrong, we recommend, first, a casual glance at our recent athletic history and, second, a casual chat with most Princeton undergraduates, athletes, or coaches. If he wants a real torrent of language, let him consult a few of that off-maligned group-the Alumni.

To those self-appointed intellectual aristocrats who contend mildly that decay in some forms is wholesome, we reply with philosophic broad-mindedness that they may be right. If they are, let us have done with sham. Let us admit that Princeton no longer can compete with her ancient rivals. Let us ask Williams, Amherst, and Wesleyan whether they will take us in. An immediate and never-failing reason alleged for our cloud-swept athletic horizon is, of course, curricular difficulty. Being neither the Oxford nor the Cambridge of America, Princeton-so the story goes-is seeking to become the Harvard Law School of New Jersey.

One thing is certain. Athletic morale has ebbed painfully. The Campus as a whole cannot depart on Friday for a week-end of wine, women and hey-hey without returning to read between the lines of Monday's athletic accounts that they also serve who only, stay in Princeton. The Daily Princetonian.