REVEILLE

Before the departing Seniors have forgotten about it, and before unwarned Freshmen come to live in the Yard, some voice should be raised for the still inarticulate students of the future who otherwise will have to listen for an indefinite number of years to the ringing of the seven o'clock bell in Harvard Hall. Dusty records seem to agree that in past centuries, chapel was held so early that a seven o'clock bell was necessary. Since then, compulsory chapel has been abolished, and those that do attend. And eight-thirty a satisfactory time to get up. Still the seven o'clock bell persists, hanging on from one decade to another, one of the nuisance traditions that remains simply because no one has gotten around to putting an end to it.

It used to be the custom for the CRIMSON to print one or two editorials a year suggesting that the time be changed. Gradually a defeatist attitude crept in; crusading ardor lessened; masterly logic was presented with a yawn. No authorities seemed to be worried because it was absurd to waken the whole Yard so that thirty men could attend chapel one hour and three-quarters later. Even the individual Seniors each year passed from active objection to torpid acceptance, and so each new class has had the bell wished upon it. This protest, too, offered more in sorrow than in anger, may go unheard; but the morning curses, still unuttered, of Freshmen, still unmatriculated, should give it weight.