Cinema-:- THE CRIMSON PLAYGOER -:- Drama

Virility in person of Victor McLaglen on display in his latest talkie at Keith's Memorial

By H. B.

Victor McLaglen's latest contribution to the all-talkie, all-sexy form of dramatic art is "On the Level", now showing at the B. F. Keith's Memorial Theatre. The virility of Herr McLaglen is very adequately balanced by the Misses Fifi Dorsay and Lilyan Tashman. Between these three, the iron workers Union, and Palisades Park, the director has managed to turn out a fairly amusing picture.

Miss Tashman contributes some highly insinuating sex appeal which was rivaled by the considerable expenditure of the same commodity by Miss Dorsay. Mr. McLaglen himself plays a rather negative part in the midst of these pyro-technics, but he manages to come through in the end with his good humor and incidentally the fifty thousand dollars.

The whole point of the picture is to create mild amusement on the part of the audience, and as such it might be termed a success. No one was seen rolling in the aisles, but it did provide a thoroughly pleasing evening, and an excellent antidote for Philosophy A.

As for the shorter subjects, there is a "Krazy Kat" film that lives up to the high standard that these black and white pictures have set in the realm of the talkies. The drawings and musical score are both lively and amusing. In fact it was the most hilarious part of the bill. The other contributions, unfortunately were as dull as ever, the booby prize going to a particularly annoying bit designed to show the beauties of the Sunny South. The final contribution was another so-called organologue, whose only apparent purpose was to make more vacant seats for the feature picture.

But, after all, a few discrepancies like these do not counteract the worth of the feature picture, and besides a little careful timing will avoid the whole difficulty.